76 Spirit of Fireworks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need advice on firing system, WPS(wireless pyrotechnic solutions)?

New guy here, been lurking a little while though.

I'm going to be purchasing a firing system over the next 6 months and I was looking into my options. I want a wireless system that has the capability for scripted shows and plenty of room to grow. At first it seemed like cobra was the go to option for what I want. Lately, I've been reading more about the FireTek system and it looks like that might end up being a better/cheaper option for my needs. However today I was reading on a UK fireworks forum about firing systems and saw a system mentioned that I don't remember seeing mentioned on here before and I wanted to see if anyone owned on or had used one. Its from a company called WPS and it looks to be similar to the firetek in that it uses cat5 cables to connect slats to modules but it has 144 individual cues per module divided up on 12 slats of 12 cues each.

I don't know about forum rules on links but I can post one if needed. Anyone heard of these before?

2. Fireworks Forever

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Re: Need advice on firing system, WPS(wireless pyrotechnic solutions)?

I own a Cobra system... I am extremely satisfied with its capabilities. I especially like that I do not have to run any cables. Drop a module and your good to go! It's priced well and it performs well.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyro47240 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Price per cue is just a small part of the total package. What about personal service after the sale, quick and available spare parts, and a whole community of experienced system users that are just a click away..
    67 is here. Cut the job back to 4 days a week.
    Better to wear out...than to rust out.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spacial k For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyne View Post
    I have it, it's a good system. He had some quality control issues but I just recently talked to him and basically all of my issues have been resolved by slight changes. My only complaint now is the cat5 doesn't lock into the module. You have to break the little clip off of the comnector.

Other than that the system is pretty awesome, I can use one 144 cue module per barge. In smaller shows or barges I can use his 24 cue module. He's coming out with other stuff too.

i really feel like if this system had just a few of the things the firetek had (2 wire compatible/GPS time) and the cables locked in it would be the perfect system.
    Have you used the scripting/pyromusical part of it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tfb5701 View Post
    New guy here, been lurking a little while though.

I'm going to be purchasing a firing system over the next 6 months and I was looking into my options. I want a wireless system that has the capability for scripted shows and plenty of room to grow. At first it seemed like cobra was the go to option for what I want. Lately, I've been reading more about the FireTek system and it looks like that might end up being a better/cheaper option for my needs. However today I was reading on a UK fireworks forum about firing systems and saw a system mentioned that I don't remember seeing mentioned on here before and I wanted to see if anyone owned on or had used one. Its from a company called WPS and it looks to be similar to the firetek in that it uses cat5 cables to connect slats to modules but it has 144 individual cues per module divided up on 12 slats of 12 cues each.

I don't know about forum rules on links but I can post one if needed. Anyone heard of these before?
    I would be careful personally getting a system that is based out of another country if there was no known US tech support. If something was to break/malfunction it could get real costly sending things back and forth over seas. I think there are many known systems here in the states that have proven themselves and have excellent customer support.

It really comes down to personal preference and $$$$.

Firetek is newer I believe but seems to be getting some very positive feedback.
    Dewey, cobra and merlock are all great entry level systems that are capable of shooting a scripted show to.

Choose the system that will best fit your needs/expansion and you will be happy
    HPA and PGI Member
    VP of the 1/2er's
    Pyromania Champion of Champions Show

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Countpyro1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When it first came out I largely ignored the FireTek because of (what I see to be) serious networking security issues. Those issues have never existed with the Cobra system. Nor human communications issues with support. Nor expand-ability issues. Nor professional acceptance issues. Nor a lack of fellow pyros able and willing to loan compatible gear for shows.

Because of issues on one side and no matching issues on the other - Cobra remains the hand-down winner.
    PGI/NFA

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RealPyroJon View Post
    ...Nor a lack of fellow pyros able and willing to loan compatible gear for shows...
    This is the biggest draw to me, and something I didn't realize would be as big a deal as it is until I started suddenly doing larger shows where I didn't have enough equipment to cover my needs (or desires).

Thanks to friends (thanks spacial, sizz) we have a pretty stout setup. Each of us has our own remote and audio box. I have a few mods, keith and dale each have more than a few, lol. We help each other out, and it works great.

I'm not arguing for or against the WPS system, just saying the points about friends loaning equipment and the huge user base are not points to be taken lightly.
    Donnie Hoggatt
    Independence, KS U.S.A.

Cobra, Finale
    KCAP, TotP

Thanks

When it first came out I largely ignored the FireTek because of (what I see to be) serious networking security issues. Those issues have never existed with the Cobra system.
    Please be more specific what networking issues fireTEK do you think it has? The fireTEK wireless use the same frequency like Cobra and included the same authentications like Cobra with unique addresses. More of that fireTEK (I don't know if Cobra has because it is nothing write about it) has alll the communications encrypted AES128 plus some extra custom security checks.
    Considering it has all the security Cobra has implemented + some extra (encryption + custom security checks) and you also say the Cobra has no security issues how you can say the fireTEK has "serious networking security issues"?

Nor human communications issues with support.
    Do you saw fireTEK clients feedback about support? Do you know in more than 90% of clients emails we respond in minutes (less than 30) anytime (24/7)? Can you please show me one (only one) feedback from a client who complaint about fireTEK support?

Nor expand-ability issues. Nor professional acceptance issues. Nor a lack of fellow pyros able and willing to loan compatible gear for shows.
    Our fireTEK modules are compatible with each other... and you have unlimited expand capability
    Do you know a fireTEK module can be controlled without extra specific hardware (remote or others):
    - by Cobra or any other firing system via external trigger?
    - by an external player/AudioBox via Time code
    - by a computer software via USB
    - from the panel buttons
    - by a Smartphone via Bluetooth (option)

Considering this I can say the fireTEK modules are "compatible" and can be integrated in a show with any other firing system.

It is your choice if you buy Cobra, WPS, fireTEK or other systems... but I think it is not fair to say something about a systems if you do not know it and you do not have any proof.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fireTEK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I will emphasis that buying a system with local support to your location is very smart. Shipping modules overseas for repair is not practical or inexpensive. So while I like Cobra, which is based in the US, as I am, and I can see the owner at local events, I might try to buy a UK based system if I was in the UK, solely for practical purposes, unless I was really in favor of the Cobra (which I am now). But having a person that you can visit for advice, take modules to for repairs and upgrades, and get items shipped within 2 days from is a huge advantage. Most newer firing systems are very good, the costs are dropping per cue for almost all systems, wireless is great for many cases, and there are many good systems out there, so I like to encourage people to buy what meets their needs best and the closer the better.

For the costs, the overall cost is highly dependent on how many total cues, modules, what type, if you use slats, cables, etc, so comparing costs without knowing the end use is difficult. For some cases Cobra is clearly very reasonable, but if you need certain features, that might not matter.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

When it first came out I largely ignored the FireTek because of (what I see to be) serious networking security issues. Those issues have never existed with the Cobra system. Nor human communications issues with support. Nor expand-ability issues. Nor professional acceptance issues. Nor a lack of fellow pyros able and willing to loan compatible gear for shows.

Because of issues on one side and no matching issues on the other - Cobra remains the hand-down winner.
    I don't own either a Cobra or Firetek, but I think there is some unfounded opinion in this post. I am interested in what you believe to be the network security issues though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to marcsparks For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My thanks to FireTEK and to marcsparks for illustrating my unfair statements. I was going to edit or remove the post and feared that it would only look like a vain attempt to mask my inaccuracy. I will leave it as a badge of shame for a knee-jerk reaction. Maybe Mr Trump will build a wall around me some day using Hillary's emails.

I have been corrected both on and off list and now lament that my well-intentioned post threw too wide a net of issues to be fair in this context. Some of my security concerns apply directly to both systems and should not have been presented in this fashion to denigrate FireTEK. Apologies to FireTEK and any others who were insulted by my off-the-hip generalizations. Regardless, the networking issues are not suitable for public review. That would only add fuel to an accidental fire at this point.

Will FireTEK be manning a booth at PGI so I might apologize directly?
    PGI/NFA

Thanks

My thanks to FireTEK and to marcsparks for illustrating my unfair statements. I was going to edit or remove the post and feared that it would only look like a vain attempt to mask my inaccuracy. I will leave it as a badge of shame for a knee-jerk reaction. Maybe Mr Trump will build a wall around me some day using Hillary's emails.

I have been corrected both on and off list and now lament that my well-intentioned post threw too wide a net of issues to be fair in this context. Some of my security concerns apply directly to both systems and should not have been presented in this fashion to denigrate FireTEK. Apologies to FireTEK and any others who were insulted by my off-the-hip generalizations.
    No problem... I understand.

Regardless, the networking issues are not suitable for public review. That would only add fuel to an accidental fire at this point.
    I agree with you that any wireless network can be cracked/hacked but I am sure fireTEK is harder to crack/hack vs others. I have never heard a well-known (not a cheap Chinese) wireless firing system to be hacked because in almost any case you need resources(time and money) + know-how. Moreover, in case of fireTEK, if you still do not trust wireless, you can use 2 wires communication.

Will FireTEK be manning a booth at PGI so I might apologize directly?
    I will not be there this year... one of our distributors may go, but we are not sure yet.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to fireTEK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The WPS does look promising. I currently have a Cobra system but am looking into WPS and FireTek. If you go to the fireworks-forum pyro site you will see more people talking about the WPS and what they like/dislike about it.

Thanks

And where is this "fireworks-forum pyro site"? Thought that was where we were...
    PGI/NFA

Thanks

And where is this "fireworks-forum pyro site"? Thought that was where we were...
    I think it is talking about this one:
    http://www.fireworks-forum.org.uk/fo...g-fireworks.7/

23. The Following User Says Thank You to fireTEK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for all the input guys. I've thought about it a bit more and it sounds to me like its probably down to firetek and cobra.

For those who were asking about layout needs, I'm sure it will change over time but I would guess that this next year I will have probably do a 5 position front with maybe 24 cues on the outside ones, 24-36 in the middle, and maybe 12-18 in the mid-outside positions. Plus a mortar position in the center back but that will be centralized in one area. The outside ones will be mirrored for the most part and the mid-outside ones will as well. So for those I can use 1 module and run slats/cables to cut down on cost for each mirrored pair. When it comes to running slats costs, the firetek wins due to cheaper cables(DB25 vs Cat5) and cheaper slats($30 vs $60). Cobra does have 18 vs 12 cues per slat but it also requires the slat adapter. Cobra does allow for completely slat-free usage.

I know Firetek can run without a remote but I will want to have a remote as well as the ability to have the music perfectly synced to my system. Cobra 18R2 remotes are definitely cheaper than Firetek but with Firetek the audio player is built into the remote so the cost of the 18R2 remote plus the cobra audio box comes out to be as much or a little more than an outfitted Firetek remote.

Now at this point, cobra does win for being able to share modules but I don't know if that will help me. I live in Tulsa, OK and I haven't found a local pyro club or other local pyros with a cobra firing system. There is KCAP in KC and the missouri club, which are both out of state, and theres a club in far NW OK but I don't think I have one by me. The local display operator I have/will be shooting shows for uses a hardwired system so theres no sharing there. I plan on using this system 2-3 times per year for small personal backyard shows and will do my one big backyard show at a family party every July 3rd. Considering how probably every firing system in the country is in use the few days around the 4th, I don't know if I would be able to borrow modules for the big show on the 3rd, which is the one time of the year that I expect to max out my system size.

Any thoughts considering the updated info in this message? If theres a chance to borrow or share modules in my area that would definitely be a big check in the cobra column but so far I haven't found that option
    Last edited by tfb5701; 07-19-2016 at 02:22 PM.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Donnie, sizz, and spacial are all in south east Kansas. Thunder on the planes is in Fredonia ks this year in October, come up and enjoy the shoot! Should only be a two hour drive or so for you.
    KCAP / MoPyro Member
    Kansas City Area Pyros

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pyro chris For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've talked back and forth with Ivars from WPS the past few days. Is good at replying too. If I was just starting out I'd seriously consider his system. But audio is import to you so I'd go with FireTek. They have a US side supplier now and good customer service from everything I've read. Over all, the FireTek seems to have more options built in and can be expanded for less money than the Cobra.

Cobra...its also a good choice...just make sure you get the 18R2. I went with the 18R thinking I'd never want a scripted version. Short sighted on my part. It also has firing memory which isn't available on the 18R. Believe me, fire one show and you'll be wishing you had that. I don't recommend making your decision on if you'd be able to use someone else's modules. That isn't too realistic unless you already know someone who has more than they need.

Of course, neither of those systems are as competitive on a price per queue basis than the WPS system.

Thanks

Hello everyone, it's Ivars here from WPS.

Just wanted to let you know that there are some upcoming upgrades for the existing system, that takes into account most of the customer feedback.
    Also looking into US side distributors to bridge the sea between us.

On a different note, exciting low cost 12 cue module is on its way. Can be interfaced with both WPSmote and cheap Chinese 12 button RF remote.

If anyone have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me either by PM or in this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WPS firing; 07-29-2016 at 02:16 AM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WPS firing For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Welcome Ivars...this is great news!

Your systems come across as a 'meat and potatoes', 'rock solid reliability' type of launching system. I don't have one myself so I'm basing that on the reviews I've seen.

Can you tell us more about what is coming and the time frames? I'm very interested to know if you have anything in the works to address the 'latch issues' I've heard people talk about? That was a turn off for me.

Thanks

nice...which system do you have and what is your impression of it?

Thanks

Hello LittleB,

Latch issues are addressed by milling out the area on sides where the cables come out. There are two advantages of doing it: a) closing lid firmly presses all cables down with the rubber sealant; b) additional protection from rain / debris when lid is fully closed.

IMG_20160728_204205.jpg

Both upgraded existing units and the new WPStiny should be available as soon as October.
    Wireless Pyro Solutions LTD
    Expandable, easy to use firing system.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WPS firing For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WPS firing View Post
    Hello LittleB,

Latch issues are addressed by milling out the area on sides where the cables come out. There are two advantages of doing it: a) closing lid firmly presses all cables down with the rubber sealant; b) additional protection from rain / debris when lid is fully closed.

Both upgraded existing units and the new WPStiny should be available as soon as October.
    That is great. October is right around the time I'll need to purchase my next module...want enough time to play with it before new years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyne View Post
    I have a pro system I used this year, I liked it but we only used it in step mode, I will be using them for scripted shows soon. I liked the system, I had a few small things but like I said they have been fixed and rather quickly (I talked to Ivars about them less than a month ago and he is already coming out with small modifications to his unit to fix everything.)

Reasons I think this system is a really great alternative to the others out there. You don't need to add an expensive mod for every 18 or 48 cues, one decently priced mod will do 144 cues, for me that was a barge this year. If I had 3 barges I could run just 3 mods. Next year I am hoping to get a show that has 3 small barges as a front and large shells behind. I can use either the 24 cue system or his new 12 cue for each of the spots and not have any cues or systems wasted. The versatility of that is worth getting the system alone. I was looking at getting 8 or so cobras for the barge this year and that would have been 2400 for mods alone.

My only big complaint of the system (enough that I was considering going with another system for next year) was that the cables aren't snapped into the mod, but as you can see he solved that brilliantly. Other than that the system worked excellent, and the show I used it on had no shells not fired at the end of the show, somewhat of a testament to the pyro I had do it but also I think to how well the system fires ematch.

Ivars has told me of his upcoming plans for the system and I am replacing a lot more of my systems next year with it.
    Thanks for sharing...do you know anyone that imports these or is going to?

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

WPS please check pm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firejunkie View Post
    WPS please check pm
    Done.
    Wireless Pyro Solutions LTD
    Expandable, easy to use firing system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast