Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Re: Finale Business functionality update

There are always many different ways to look at something. Starting with a pricing model. Pricing software based on how much it cost to develop it is dangerous. Software has little incremental cost as you sell more. It has huge up front development costs. Many solftware companies go out of business because they fail to develop a program for what the customer is willing to pay. Developers are notorious for adding features that dont add value. I fear this is what has happened with finale. The new features may be nice but they are unneeded. Additionally it has been under development for far to long. I think i first heard about finale 3d at the pgi in gillette....when occulas rifts were only availible to developers. Extended developments have destroyed many companies.

Shaming your customers into paying more is a good way to generate bad will. You blow up 100s of dollars in minutes. Why are you so cheap about software? My perception of the value of this program does not include the price being asked. Feels like I am dealing with a used car dealer trying to guilt me into spending more.

I dont doubt the moneu was spent on developing. Unfortunately if the market is as small as some think it didnt justify the development spend. It sucks but doesnt change the facts.

In my mind finale 3d missed the mark. It is bloated with unneeded features that i am not willing to pay for. The market price point was missed and competion was not understood. To gain the hobbiest market you need to compete against a visual excell interface not the higj end. Your strategy needs to be upselling excell interface. People will pay 100 to 150 a year. They wont pay 350 regardless of the options.

I think the size of the market at a 100 price point, or even better 10 a month is much larger than people realize. Every cobra customer is a potential customer. The firing system market is growing rapidly. Pro line salrs are also growing fast. The market is there but not at 300.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stuntborg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,029 Times in 1,503 Posts

Well if you are a Fire One user you could spend $4k on their 3D choreography software (plus and extra $700 if you plan to script with ultra fire). Then it will only cost you $2k to upgrade when they become available.

Kyle is busy elsewhere but you can still get Showsim 3D for $800 with a $500 a year renewal fee.

For $400 you can buy FWsim with no renewal fees and it's a 3D visual choreography program.

Cobra show creator is under $100. Sorry no 3D visualization but to be honest the 3D hocus pocus is a presentation tool not a design tool.So it's really overkill for backyard hobbyist 1.4 shows.

If you are really on a budget Pyrothek is free.

There seems to be a big misunderstanding of the size of the hobbyist market compared to the need for a 3D presentation all in one scripting and inventory program for businesses.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to goneshootin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firecat8 View Post
    17 months for a competitor to emerge...
    It would seem a competitor has emerged. A UK based company called SimplyPyro is looking for funding via Kickstarter.

Link to their project page ——>SimplyPyro

Funding appears to be going slow, but for all you guys who don’t like what Finale has done to the hobbyist, maybe this is an option.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    It would seem a competitor has emerged. A UK based company called SimplyPyro is looking for funding via Kickstarter.

Link to their project page ——>SimplyPyro

Funding appears to be going slow, but for all you guys who don’t like what Finale has done to the hobbyist, maybe this is an option.
    True, it’s a new program start up. but it’s another subscription service claiming subscription is the only answer to ensure quality and innovation. I’ll wait and see how other feel if their money
    Was well spent.
    KCAP, Kansas Outdoor Display & Close Proximate Unlimited(flame, cryogenic)Colorado Display Operator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
    True, it’s a new program start up. but it’s another subscription service claiming subscription is the only answer to ensure quality and innovation. I’ll wait and see how other feel if their money
    Was well spent.
    If they don’t reach the funding you aren’t charged anything. Since the alternatives to Finale are limited, I figured I will help fund it. The way I look at it, $100 a year is far better than Finale 3D Hobbyist subscription of $350. I have no problem with $100 a year but $350 ain’t happening. Besides, it seems the rest of the software world is going subscription based. I hope they are successful but time will tell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12