Fireworks Forever

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Latest Acquisition

Here is my latest acquisition. This deal showed up unexpectedly, and I couldn't resist. Wondering what the value is, if they're not collectible, I may just have fun with them. For the money I paid, I wouldn't feel bad.

They are all DOT. The all red crackers brick is complete, and in real nice shape. The big BC brick is 5 strips of 400, but missing one. Wrapper is more or less complete. The other 2 BC packs and the Duck brand pack are in mint shape. The leader sparklers box is full of what appear to be silver sparklers, and is in nice shape except for one small corner where the box was put together. It's coming apart a little, and the box is a little squashed.

The Alligator strip is 800 pcs, and appears to be complete, but it's rough. Wrapper is torn, label is torn, some shell wraps are coming of or missing. Interesting, though; they're 1" crackers, which I've never seen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by clr8ter; 12-25-2018 at 08:38 PM.

2. Fireworks Forever

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Re: Latest Acquisition

The 'Gator 800s should be ICC, not DOT and most likely from late 1950s to early 60s. There was a time that the brand was really sought after in the collecting world and some variations still are. I've been collecting for a little over 20 years and haven't seen a 1 incher pack like that before, but maybe some of the old timer collectors on this forum have?

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Just double checked - It does say DOT. I don't see ICC on it.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Can you get a close up pic of that Alligator pack? The format of the label is odd! No 'Caution Explosive' designation which would have begun to be present in the late 60s/early 70 s. Everything points to it being from the late 50s to early 60s but wierd that it would say DOT.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Here ya go. Sorry for the crappy photos.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

No worries. I was trying to see the DOT designation clear enough but seems like it's not in the cards. Still..I have to say it's a pretty cool label. Too bad the pack is thrashed! Lots of 1 inch crackers back then were really good and hit hard.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Since it's Christmas, and I'm a master photographer....

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

And, what do you know...I can't see for shit! It DOES say ICC! I only saw that when I just looked at the photos I posted.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

No worries - I figured if I could see ICC from your now clear recent pictures and you still insisted it was DOT, then I'd wonder if the alphabet suddenly shifted, LOL!

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

What about these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Firecracker...H97W:rk:2:pf:0

Almost everything this wanker has is "Very Rare", even though in most of the crappy photos, you can see they're newer than DOT, and in some cases even has bar codes. This particular one is interesting, though. Is it real? I see, (barely) that it is made in the USA. Was there ever this type of firecracker made in the US?

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

The crackers are Chinese, but the label is a "fantasy label" indeed made in the U.S.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

What is a "fantasy label"?

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
    What is a "fantasy label"?
    It's basically a made up label someone drew, and slapped on a real pack of firecrackers. I see the word "rare" is used very loosely on the auctions. I wouldn't call any of the items rare though.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Ah. So, it may indeed be "rare", if the creator only made one. But, that means nothing. Is this done by individuals, or businesses, or both? For any particular purpose? I do find it interesting, and have thought of it myself, though simply for entertainments sake, not to pass it off as something valuable or desirable. FWIW, I wouldn't buy anything from this guy, simply because he seems to be trying to take advantage to a degree, and certainly misrepresenting things. He also seems to be the worst one on E-bay for this. Some of the others seem more on the level.

Also still looking for an active source of discussion/trading for this stuff. I was recommended a couple of Facebook groups which I cannot find.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

The guy who made this label has made several others too, and numerous printings of each label. He is a graphic artist AND a pack collector. He's never tried to represent his fantasy packs as having actually been imported, but others have. Fantasy packs are controversial in the collecting community. Some guys like them, others don't (because they feel they'll cause confusion for new collectors).

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

PostersMax was at PGI and had framed reproduction fireworks packs & posters for sale, for some classics like Dixie Boy, Big Chief, etc. He clearly states they are repro.'s, I got a few for gifts. Since I'm not a collector, I wasn't too concerned, but maybe it's like someone repro.'s Honus Wagner cards and it messes up the collectors market.
    http://postersmax.com/firecrackers-related/

But there were period rice paper pyro posters in the PGI Collectors Corner for $10-15., so at least for posters, seems like the price of originals isn't very expensive.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Was going to say the Alligator almost has to say ICC because there are no Cautions and it does. I've got a pack of the 200's and their penny packs were also 1" 5C
    s. If you shoot the crackers let me know and I'll trade you a good live pack for the label. I have fun repairing them.

What are those vertical bars on the Black Cat pack?

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

If you're talking about the brick...It's 5 strips of 400. One is missing, and the others have leaned over, like a staircase, kinda.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

If you want to see fantasy labels there are a ton of them on eBay this morning, and the seller is honest and describes them as such.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Couldn't find any of them. What did you search for? "Firecracker Labels, Firecracker fantasy labels" turned up nothing.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

just 'firecracker' will do. Look for stuff from Alexy.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Still curious about the Black Cat with the four bars or whatever they are across the front. To the left of your Duck pack.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

OH, the ladyfinger pack? That's a 350 pack. Those bars are the light reflecting off the humps made by the string inside.

Oh, and BTW, I looked and looked on eBay, couldn't find either the guy, or the fantasy packs... I guess my computer ebays different than yours. Of course, eBay does not really want you to find and talk to anyone. They's suspicious and paranoid...

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

OK thanks. pm me and I'll send you links to all the fantasy packs. You are right, tough to communicate on ebay except on their system.