Thanks

my attempt at creating letters/numbers with meteors

feel free to give any tips or suggestions to help me improve on what I did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMHRXdoh5jw&t=

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoosier97 For This Useful Post:

3. intergalactic

Thanks

Re: my attempt at creating letters/numbers with meteors

Well not bad for a first attempt! We as a company have tried it and gave up after awhile. I think you were shotting them straight up which means no matter what they will all eventually all reach the same hight. That means there is a very small window where the effect works as you can see by stepping through your video. Blink and you will miss it. The only way to overcome the hight issue is to angle them away from your audience with special fixtures but it needs a lot of room.

Thanks

Damn - that was pretty good for a first try. I could see the countdown. Love to understand what product you used and the script.

Thanks

Can you tamper with the lift charge, down from max, to get the height you want and fire them all at the same time?

I've had visions of doing an American Flag at some point, but I doubt I'll use meteors.
    Bluegrass Pyrotechnics Guild (BPG)

Thanks

i've seen people try this in a lot of different ways and whatever way you used worked pretty good... at least one person int he crowd (near the camera) picked up on it so mission accomplished.

i know in the past people have had good success with using flat boards and mounting each tube at a slight angle away from the center... then angle the board twords the crowd... it gives you a "growing" object (number/letter/smiley/etc) because as the comets travel they are getting further and further apart from each other.

...but it's hard to find the space to do it right... and it requires you to fire at a shallow angle so it's best over water or wet grass...

dunno... something you might want to try if you take this idea further.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

i used dominator meteors, I chose the dominator meteors over 76, because from past experience the 76 meteors don't seem to go as high as dominator (maybe because 76 uses such short tubes). i used 5 stations 50ft apart, all meteors were shot straight up and I used a level to make sure they were as vertical as I could get them. so the letters/numbers are like dot matrix letters 5 dots across and 7 dots high. i tried this twice, one with .2 seconds between each row (which i didn't get on video), and .25 seconds between each row (which is what you saw on this video). going into this I knew they would look pretty sloppy, all I want is the audience to be able to make them out. because the letters/numbers are scrolling, the viewer needs to focus on the bottom half of the sky as the letters/numbers are forming, not at the top where they begin to bunch up. the results seem to be good enough for me to use in the future, I'm just an amateur backyard guy, I think being able to spell U S A would be pretty cool or even making a happy face

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosier97 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,802 Times in 723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier97 View Post
    i used dominator meteors, I chose the dominator meteors over 76, because from past experience the 76 meteors don't seem to go as high as dominator (maybe because 76 uses such short tubes). i used 5 stations 50ft apart, all meteors were shot straight up and I used a level to make sure they were as vertical as I could get them. so the letters/numbers are like dot matrix letters 5 dots across and 7 dots high. i tried this twice, one with .2 seconds between each row (which i didn't get on video), and .25 seconds between each row (which is what you saw on this video). going into this I knew they would look pretty sloppy, all I want is the audience to be able to make them out. because the letters/numbers are scrolling, the viewer needs to focus on the bottom half of the sky as the letters/numbers are forming, not at the top where they begin to bunch up. the results seem to be good enough for me to use in the future, I'm just an amateur backyard guy, I think being able to spell U S A would be pretty cool or even making a happy face
    We've played with this before and you nailed it about as good as you're going to with China product (agreed on the Dom vs 76 height). We did use .2 sec but your .25 seemed to work just as well, maybe a little better. The method of shooting away or towards the crowd is a completely different effect and requires even tighter product and special racking. For your purposes, this was probably as easy a setup and as best a result as you could have hoped for....well done :)
    Owner Innovative Pyrotechnic Concepts, L.L.C. - Professional Displays & Display Equipment Sales
    Co-Owner Pyro Dudes Fireworks, L.L.C. - Retail/Wholesale Consumer Fireworks
    Partner Capital Fireworks, L.L.C. - Wholesale Distributor of 1.4 UN0431 and 1.4 UN0336 Products
    President West Virginia Fireworks Association
    Member NLPC, Crackerjacks, PGI, & NFA

11. The Following User Says Thank You to coachtimmyj For This Useful Post: