APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Dapkus #200 Tubes

Hello pyros, I remember these older single shots by Dapkus as very good quality shells. How do you think these would stack up against today's tubes? Thanks and have a nice day!

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Re: Dapkus #200 Tubes

The Dapkus #200 tubes were manufactured from 1990 through 2004 and were the last of a 100% american made manufactured consumer items. There were 7 different effects :
    Golden tigertail to purple
    Golden Strobe
    Silver Spider to Ruby
    Golden Spider to Purple
    Crackling Patriot
    Twinkling Snowflake to emerald
    Gold Crown Dadem

Shell size was 2-3/8" and 3/8 round stars were purchased from several star manufacturers including Independence Professional Fireworks and Alanzo Fireworks...The last stars for the shells were manufactured at our Connecticut facility in 2004. The tubes were sold to many consumer dealers throughout the country , Phantom fireworks being the biggest vendor. Approximately 500,000 tubes were manufactured during that time period.

In 2004 most American consumer fireworks dealers were purchasing 500 gram cakes and canister reloadable shells, thus the demand for the single shot tube and the large 12 shot racks manufactured by Dapkus steadily declined. Production of the last Dapkus tubes was in 2004 and the 11 full time employees used to manufacture the tubes were laid off...

The Dapkus tubes compared to other american manufacturers were known for their "Heavy Breaks" and vivid colors... The Dapkus color shell would rival any 1-3/4" canister today...but the price of any american made product navigated their fate in the American Consumer Fireworks industry, thus the Chinese imports dominated the market since then.

The Dapkus tube as well as Camm Starr, Patriotic, Rozzi and Longhorn products are a thing of the past and with new CPSC and DOT regulations, these pyrotechnic devices made by proud Americans will probably never return again...

Picture below is that of my late father John Dapkus Sr. and my brother Guy Dapkus...the 12" shell just rolled into the picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NHPYRO; 01-20-2019 at 04:57 PM.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NHPYRO For This Useful Post:

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the info. It's a crying shame that there tubes were discontinued. I only remember having Twinkling snowflake to emerald and I was very impressed. I shot it at a club shoot in 2004 and it stood out well. The Starr and Longhorn shells were nice too but not as good as yours! BTW, I couldn't seem to open the picture you sent...

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Awesome Mike. In late 90s started going to Kellners demos. Starr and Patriotic was good...but thought yours was better.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

I wonder if there's any video of them. Also, how about a 6 shot 500 gram version in the future?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 727 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NHPYRO View Post

Picture below is that of my late father John Dapkus Sr. and my brother Guy Dapkus...the 12" shell just rolled into the picture...
    Cool pic Mike, first time I ever saw a picture of him, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree for sure ;-)
    Owner Innovative Pyrotechnic Concepts, L.L.C. - Professional Displays & Display Equipment Sales
    Co-Owner Pyro Dudes Fireworks, L.L.C. - Retail/Wholesale Consumer Fireworks
    Partner Capital Fireworks, L.L.C. - Wholesale Distributor of 1.4 UN0431 and 1.4 UN0336 Products
    President West Virginia Fireworks Association
    Member NLPC, Crackerjacks, PGI, & NFA