Thread: Pyro Multitool

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Pyro Multitool

So I’ve been working on this idea of a multitool made specifically for pyrotechnicians, I’ve reached out to Gerber and Leatherman but so far neither have really answered back (though I only recently reached out to leatherman.) I have been trying to compile a list of features/tools that would replace as many tools as I can to make it easier, right now during wiring I am swapping between about 3 tools. What I’m looking for is a hive mind to come up with something that would really be worthwhile for a pyro to purchase. What I sent them was mostly what I need for my company and how we work. This is the main parts I think that I would need, and maybe some other ideas of what others would add. If you think this is a good idea then add to it. At this point if they don’t get back to me, or never produce anything I’ll buy a few leathermans and machine my own features in. When I was in the Marine Corps we all had EOD Gerbers (I was an assaultman which was like a rifleman mixed with a combat engineer) and I loved it.

Anyway here is my list:

1) Pliers similar to the Jonard jic-22148 (picture attached), this are the best ones imo for the IDC connectors. They have needlenose pliers at the top, wire strippers (preferably made for 18-22awg duplex), idc crimpers in the middle, and wire cutters near the hinge. This is mostly the reason I want a multitool actually. That’s really 4 tools features in itself.

2) Obviously a knife which will be use for cutting boxes, and sometimes when the little strings on the chains doesn’t pull off the correct way among many other uses. It would be nice if it was a razor blade but for some reason there aren’t any multi tools with a box cutter built in.

3) A wire slitter, something like the can opener they have but sharpened so it’s easier to just split duplex wire, not that it’s hard but not everyone has strong nails and doing it so many times a day on July 4 really makes your fingers raw.

4) a brass poke, while I don’t really need this for the work I do I know some pyros would love it, similar to the EOD C4 lunch but in brass, maybe replaceable.

Any other features? Maybe if we can come up with something good and choose standard easily added features and a company we can harass until they produce it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Re: Pyro Multitool

Nice idea. I'm not sure how you fit in anvil cutters. We really like these small sized anvil cutters:
    https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling...40664-000.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fuse For This Useful Post:

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Nice idea. I'm not sure how you fit in anvil cutters. We really like these small sized anvil cutters:
    https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling...40664-000.html
    Yeah that was in my original plan too but after looking at the existing multitools I couldn’t figure out a way they could make it work. We use the craftsman one with the replaceable razor blade. An anvil cutter that you could use the razor as a utility knife would be amazing.

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyne View Post
    Yeah that was in my original plan too but after looking at the existing multitools I couldn’t figure out a way they could make it work. We use the craftsman one with the replaceable razor blade. An anvil cutter that you could use the razor as a utility knife would be amazing.
    Look at the Craftsman 3-in-1 Accu-Cut. The link is horrid looking trying to post it. The lower jaw slides back a hair if ya look closely. Exposing around a quarter of an inch of the razor blade for cutting boxes and QM. There is a wire cutter near the pivot point as well. The Accu-Cut is a rebrand from another manufacturer I think, but strangely enough the Craftsman has a much better feel and tolerance. I purchased a handful from the original company to find I personally like the craftsman better and grab a pair every time I stop at sears if they are in stock.

The old Lowe’s Kobalt cutter had a fold away lower jaw. The pricing is getting nightmarish on these th8ngs ( you’d think they are an old SuperMan Lunch box or something ). Look at the images in the link. Think they were around 29.99 when I purchased my first two pack.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOBALT-2-Pc...4383.l4275.c10

APPROVED MEMBER
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boophoenix View Post
    Look at the Craftsman 3-in-1 Accu-Cut. The link is horrid looking trying to post it. The lower jaw slides back a hair if ya look closely. Exposing around a quarter of an inch of the razor blade for cutting boxes and QM. There is a wire cutter near the pivot point as well. The Accu-Cut is a rebrand from another manufacturer I think, but strangely enough the Craftsman has a much better feel and tolerance. I purchased a handful from the original company to find I personally like the craftsman better and grab a pair every time I stop at sears if they are in stock.

The old Lowe’s Kobalt cutter had a fold away lower jaw. The pricing is getting nightmarish on these th8ngs ( you’d think they are an old SuperMan Lunch box or something ). Look at the images in the link. Think they were around 29.99 when I purchased my first two pack.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOBALT-2-Pc...4383.l4275.c10
    That craftsman one is pretty awesome. I will probably pick some of those up, even if I can't get every tool into one multi tool that is a nice addition while fusing.

I have a leatherman super tool 300 EOD that should be delivered today. I got that because the C4 punch is replaceable, I am going to take a 1/4" brass rod and turn a replacement brass poke for the C4 punch. Again I don't really use it but I think if I can convince leatherman to manufacture and sell these other pyros will find it useful. Then I will mill a 3/16"x1/2" slot where the crimper is so I can use it for IDC connectors, then make a 22AWG stripper in the needle nose pliers. I also bought a replacement leatherman 1/4" driver, and mini driver (for smaller bits) and a leatherman "package opener" from a wingman multi tool which I think will be perfect for slitting and separating duplex wire. Other than an anvil cutter I can't think of anything else I will really need, I still may add a continuity tester in there somewhere.

Thanks

A forearm mounted Duct Tape dispenser would be nice !
    Bluegrass Pyrotechnics Guild (BPG)