I was outraged to see the House of Representatives take an initial step on a bill that would legalize sparklers and other small fireworks, which are currently prohibited in Massachusetts (“Bill to legalize smaller fireworks advances in House,” March 27). This is a dangerous and misguided idea that should go no further.

For more than 100 years, the National Fire Protection Association has opposed the use of consumer fireworks for the simple reason that consumer fireworks are so inherently dangerous; there is no safe way for the public to engage in this activity.

Rep. George Peterson, who introduced the bill, was quoted as saying the legislation is “nothing … that is really offensive” and would allow people to “celebrate with a little more pizzazz on holidays and the Fourth of July.” What Rep. Peterson did not say is that sparklers can burn to a dangerous 1,200 degrees, and more than 80 percent of emergency room injuries involve fireworks that consumers are permitted to use. Many of those injured are young children.
Full Story: http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20140413/OPINION/140418357/12368/OPINION